On this episode host Brad Fowler grades each team in the NFC East and tells you, each team's best pick, and worst pick. He also interviews Lester A. Wiltfong Jr. (@wiltfongjr) who covers the Chicago Bears for SB Nation. The NFC East had some really solid drafts but one team with a huge fan base is not going to like what Brad had to say about their draft!
Lester A. Wiltfong Jr.
Lester A. Wiltfong Jr. covers the Chicago Bears, He's the editor in chief of SB Nation's Windy City Gridiron, the host of T Formation Conversation, the Co-Host of Bear and Balanced and on YouTube at 2nd City Gridiron.
Here are the questions we asked Lester:
• Let's start with the offense, RB David Montgomery has been a productive back for the Bears. It looks like Chicago's offense is moving to more of a outside zone rushing attack, how does Montgomery's skill set fit into this scheme? and what do expect from him this season?
• The Bears' WR group has lost Allen Robinson but Bears added Byron Pringle, and some other pieces but have they done enough to upgrade the passing attack alongside Darnell Mooney?
• There were high expectations for TE Cole Kmet the former 2nd round pick in 2020, and we saw his targets jump from 46 in yesr one to 89 last season, what do you expect from him in year 3 in Luke Getsy's offense?
• We talked about the offensive playmakers, the big question is 2nd year QB Justin Fields. He had some great moments last season, the games vs the 49ers and Steelers come to mind, but his completion % wasn't great and he had issues turning the ball over, we know he's talented but where does he need to improve this season to show Bears fans he's moving in the right direction?
• Matt Eberflus comes in this year as the new head coach, a first time head coach, former defensive coordinator with the Colts, a defensive guy through and through, and was a hot name in the NFL coaching circles, tell us about Matt Eberflus, and what he brings to the organization?
• The Bears used their first two draft picks on talented defensive backs in cornerback Kyler Gordon from Washington and safety Jaquan Brisker from Penn State.
Chicago's pass defense was pretty weak last season, so I like that they addressed it with these 2 players early in the Draft, tells us about them, and how they fit into the defense?
• The Bears also addressed the OL in this draft which is in need of some talent, talk about the group of rookie offensive lineman and who stands out in this group for you?
• The Bears season win total will be what?
Your support of the podcast is greatly appreciated, so please follow or subscribe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts and share with family and friends!