S4E13: NFL Offseason, College Football NIL, Deshaun Watson, 2nd year QBs and more with guest Kaelen Jones
On this episode host Brad Fowler talks with Kaelen Jones who's formerly of The Ringer, The Athletic and Sports Illustrated but is now the host of History Channel's "Sports History This Week" podcast to discuss College Football NIL, NFL offseason moves including players and coaches, the Deshaun Watson situation, 2nd year quarterbacks and much more.
Kaelen Jones has worked for The Ringer, The Athletic, and Sports Illustrated. He's currently the host of History Channel's "Sports History This Week" podcast.
Here are the questions we asked Kaelen:
• Tell us about this new podcast your doing with History Channel, what listeners can expect, why this show, and because this is a football audience, what NFL or CFB historical topics do you plan on covering coming up?
• Speaking on sports history, It feels like we're experiencing sports history right now in the early days of the NIL in college sports. I'm all for college athletes having the ability to generate an income for themselves, I think it was long overdue but the ramifications of this move are historic, and have rapidly changed how college sports, in particular college football are operating, what are your thoughts on the current state of the NIL the good and the bad?
• Lots of times the team who wins free agency never wins big on the field, but the team who made some less splashy, under the radar moves often pay off the biggest, but this year had some especially big moves with Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill and Russell Wilson to name a few, What NFL off season signings will have the biggest impact?
• 9 NFL teams are going into this season with new head coaches. Matt Eberflus, Brian Daball, Kevin O'Connell, Mike McDaniel, and Nathaniel Hackett all become 1st time NFL head coaches while Lovie Smith, Doug Pederson, Josh McDaniels, and Dennis Allen are getting another shot at it, What hires have YOU excited? and did any leave you scratching your head?
• We mentioned Josh McDaniels' move from the Patriots OC to head coach of the Raiders, which leaves a big question mark for who's going to be running the offense and calling plays in New England, for a very buttoned up organization, this transition feels messy, at least on the outside looking in, what are your thoughts on the situation?
• Unfortunately the biggest story this off season continues to be QB DeShaun Watson and the sexual assault and misconduct allegations swirling around him. The Browns signed him to a fully guaranteed $230 million dollar contract. No matter what happens off the field from a legal standpoint, I think its safe to say he's going to be suspended from the NFL for what could be, a considerable amount of time, so what % chance do you think that this signing for the Browns blows up entirely in their face?
• The 49ers are giving the keys to Trey Lance and the Browns excused Baker Mayfield from mandatory mini camp so they clearly want to move completely away from him, but it feels like there's a few spots where either guy could be an upgrade under center, Seattle and Carolina being the most talked about. Has the market dried up for guys like Jimmy Garoppolo and Baker Mayfield or do you expect them to be moved before the season starts?
• Which 2nd year qb makes the biggest jump this season?
• What NFL team is getting too much hype going into the season? And what team isn't getting talked about enough that could surprise some people?
Pint Glass Football Podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Castbox and wherever else you listen to podcasts.
You can listen to PGF on your smart speakers! Simply say "Alexa, play the latest episode of the Pint Glass Football Podcast" or "Hey Google, play the latest episode of the Pint Glass Football Podcast."
Your support of the podcast is greatly appreciated, so please follow or subscribe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts and share with family and friends!