On this episode we preview the upcoming 2022 NFL Season. Two recent 1st round picks are already changing teams, and guest Tyler Greenawalt from Yahoo Sports joins the show to talk NFL, 2nd year QBs, Patriots Play Calling Duties, Tua's Make or Break Season, Davante Adams and Derek Carr and the rest of the loaded AFC West, Paying Big Money for Wide Receivers and much more!
Tyler is a Sports Reporter for Yahoo Sports
Here are the questions we asked Tyler:
• You wrote a great article recently for Yahoo Sports on the 2nd year quarterbacks in the NFL. The 2021 class was pretty disappointing for the most part but as you talk about in the article, history tells us some of these guys could take a big step forward this season, you went beyond opinion and dove into some metrics, what did you find when researching this article?
• One 2nd year QB didn't get much time to showcase what he could do and that's of course Trey Lance. He was viewed as a big-time talent who needed more experience under his belt. He was able to sit behind Jimmy Garroppolo last season, this year he gets his chance to start on a great roster with a great offensive minded HC, what do you expect from Lance in year 2?
• Mac Jones had the most successful rookie season, but now enters year two without OC Josh McDaniels. Reports are that Joe Judge and Matt Patricia will be handling the offense and neither has any NFL experience on that side of the ball. The media has made this into a big story, this podcast included, but are we all just over reacting or is there legit reason for Patriots fans to hit the panic button?
• You also wrote an article on Tua TAGOVAILOA and how it's now or never for him in Miami. You pointed out the reports that the Dolphins were trying to lure Deshaun Watson to Miami, which tells us management isn't sold on him as a franchise QB either. They drafted Jaylen Waddle, trade for Tyreek Hill and upgraded the OL. What will Tua need to do this year to prove he's the guy going forward in Miami?
• Sticking with young QBs, Jets QB Zach Wilson made the wrong type of headlines this off season and now is dealing with an injury after week 1 of pre season, at the time of this recording its not quite clear how bad that injury will be but it feels like the the pressure to show progress this season in NY is building, what donthe Jets need to do this year to show the rebuild is working?
• I want to touch on another article you did for Yahoo Sports about Derek Carr and Davante Adams, rekindling what they did in college now with the Raiders. The AFC West is loaded but with Adams and new HC Josh McDaniels, who's one of the best offensive minds in the game, how special could this duo and offense be in Las Vegas?
• Let's stick with the AFC West, this off season really became an arms race with every team in the division being aggressive and making big moves in free agency, it's become the most talked about division I can recall in a long time, so how do you think it all shakes out this year on the field?
• I mentioned Tyreek Hill and Davante Adams, and both were big time acquisitions this offseason, you wrote a story about the shift we've seen in the NFL paying big for established WRs, 2 part question: Why have we seen this shift in NFL team building philosophy? and are the moves worth it?
Pint Glass Football Podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Castbox and wherever else you listen to podcasts.
You can listen to PGF on your smart speakers! Simply say "Alexa, play the latest episode of the Pint Glass Football Podcast" or "Hey Google, play the latest episode of the Pint Glass Football Podcast."
Your support of the podcast is greatly appreciated, so please follow or subscribe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts and share with family and friends!
Leave a Reply.