On this episode, One of the biggest NFL free agent signings got benched, Is there a NFL quarterback controversy? Is it time to hit the panic button for these 3 NFL teams? College Football Week 7 "Helmet Sticker" and "NFL Week 6 Game Ball", Twitter Poll questions of the week, the "Pick Six" betting picks, and guest Derek Peterson (@dr_petey) from SaturdayOutWest.com to talk Pac 12 football and preview the biggest game of the week in college football.
Derek formerly covered Nebraska football for HailVarsity.com and is now covering Pac 12 football for SaturdayOutWest.com
Here are the questions we asked Derek:
• I want to start with the big picture here first, The Pac 12 might be deeper than its been in years, but with USC losing, they could be on the outside looking in once again for a CFP berth. This league tends to cannabilze itself most years, which one could argue shows how deep the league actually is, but often the national narrative is, well they have no great team. Losing USC and UCLA makes respect even harder to earn going forward, what can commissioner George Kliavkoff do to save this conference? Or is it inevitable that teams like Oregon, Washington and possibly others leave for the Big Ten which would essentially end the league as we know it.
• Last Saturday we had a bigtime game, USC/Utah, top 25 matchup that lived up to the hype. Utah pulls off a close win at home, back and forth game between 2 great teams, but it was unfortunately overshadowed by horrible officials that may have cost USC this game. One in particular was a brutal roughing the passer call when USC was up 14 that negated a interception and USC was threatening to pull away, the very next play Utah scores a TD. What were your thoughts on the game and the officiating?
• Follow up question: Did USC's defense get exposed in this game?
• A bunch of transfer QBs have injected life into the pac 12 this year and it's part of the reason why earlier I mentioned the depth of the conference this year, but which team has been the most surprising so far this season?
• The Pac 12 has the national stage in week 8 with a top 10 matchup, undefeated #9 UCLA takes on #10 Oregon in Eugene, ESPN College Game Day will be there, should be a great atmosphere. Auburn QB transfer Bo Nix has been really good for the Ducks, Dorian Thompson Robinson has been electric for the Bruins, what matchups are key to watch for in this game, and how do you see it playing out?
Pint Glass Football Podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, Castbox and wherever else you listen to podcasts.
You can listen to PGF on your smart speakers! Simply say "Alexa, play the latest episode of the Pint Glass Football Podcast" or "Hey Google, play the latest episode of the Pint Glass Football Podcast."
Your support of the podcast is greatly appreciated, so please follow or subscribe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts and share with family and friends!